My List of Identities

I watched a Ted Talk referring to people not choosing jobs that they're passionate about because passions are feelings and feelings change all the time. In Ann John's article, she states that, "the depth of an individuals' commitment can, and often does, change over time" (Page 4). Just because you grow up into believing a particular religion or suddenly gain interest in a new hobby doesn't mean you're always going to be passionate or interested in that thing forever. Feelings are always changing.

John talks about academic and professional communities, and the language, practices, values, and genres that groups might share. Regardless of what discourse community a person belongs to, it shapes their identity. Growing up in a Christian home for example, you know to go to church every Sunday, converse with people from church, follow the ten commandments and create this identity that follows with the church community. You wouldn't show up to church with ripped jeans talking about worshiping Satan (I know that's really extreme). Eventually, growing up in the religious household starts to mold your identity and that community you were brought into becomes your own.

When learning a new identity it can be confusing to incorporate it into your daily life. I've heard of people "losing themselves" when starting a new job or becoming apart of a new community. John talks about sacrifices students make when it comes to being apart of academics discourse communities by creating, "personal and social distance between them and their families and communities" (Page 511). When taking on a new identity, you start to learn different ways to communicate, different values and overall a different way of life. If you're starting a new job and work 50-70 hours a week, making this change a drastic part of your life, you might start to forget things or change your priorities around to fit your new identity. Just as a I said before, feelings are always changing and that can involve changing yourself, for better or worse.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Six-Word Memoir

I am..

I'm Probably (Mush)faking It