"That's my OPINION"

According to the Harvard Kennedy School article, an op/ed is more commonly known as a short article or column that, "represents the strong, informed, and focused opinion of the writer." Op/ed's range from a variety of different topics, but all of them need to have some of these characteristics:
1. Topic/Theme
2. Research
3. Introduction
4. Strong ending


Everyone has an opinion nowadays, whether it's on the news or over social media. I see it the most on Twitter, where people can't even have an opinion without someone trolling them to state why they're wrong. Writing an Op/Ed is like a professional way to state your opinion in a non-aggressive way to make your claim relevant.


I don't believe there's anything wrong with having different opinions or being vocal about your opinion, but I'm sure there's people who disagree. There are people who will openly say they are open minded to listening to others opinions, but there wouldn't be so much dispute if that were actually true. I've seen it on Television and Social Media, where people attack others, verbally or physically, just for thinking different. When writing an Op/Ed, the author isn't asking for someone's opinion, they are writing just to state their own.


I personally enjoying reading Op/Eds, especially different ones on the same article because it gives you more perspective to formulate your own opinion.

A book a read in my History class a couple years ago, A People's History of the United States by Howard Zinn, states HIS opinion of history, enforced with a whole bunch of different evidence. He clearly states that it's called "A People's..." instead of "The People's..." because it gives readers a chance to formulate opinions about History for themselves instead of a book stating, "This is what happened."

Although this book wasn't an Op/ed because it wasn't a short article or column, it got the point across of the importance of formulating your own opinions about topics.

The most important piece of an op/ed in my opinion, is having sufficient and reliable evidence that supports your claim. That can make or break a column. In order to reach your audience and write about something serious, you need to have evidence that makes your point even stronger. It shows that you're not pulling facts out of thin air, but you have the research to back it up, it makes you a more credible writer.

I'm used to writing objectively, sticking to the facts, never putting my opinion into essays or articles, but this transition to writing subjectively should be better for my communication style. Putting my personal opinions and emotions into my writing, along with backing up my claim with evidence and more research is one of my favorite type of writing styles. I'm extremely excited to see how my Op/Ed turns out and the many others!

Comments


  1. Hi Meaghan,
    Thank you for your post. I like the guidelines you pick to follow, I actually overlooked this article and thanks to your post, I read it and printed it out to use for my writing later. It is a good and solid guideline to follow, and with its check list, I’m sure we can tackle most of the sections needed in an op-ed article. And most of all, thank you for introducing me a new vocabulary: trolling. Being in this digital world, I feel there is no way to escape from trolling, and the article made a great point that it’s important that we, instead of being manipulated, all have to learn how to deal with it, and the key is to response in a funny that take the troll as an opportunity to boost up the reputation. Thank you so much for introducing two great articles through your post; I learned a lot today!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Meaghan! I like that you started your blog out by giving a great definition and source of what an op/ed actually is. I thought it was refreshing that you had a different view on these than other blogs writers I have been reading. I like that you emphasize that these articles need a reliable and accurate source for the data/information delivered. I am excited to read your op/ed because you are so excited to write it! I am interested to see how the writings differ between those who are skeptical (like me haha) and people like yourself! Good luck!
    -Shelby

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Meaghan!

    Thank you for sharing your post! I also thought that it was a unique way for you to define and explain what an op/ed is because not everyone would understand what it is. I agree that nowadays everyone is able to share their own opinions whether it's through Snapchat, Instagram, Facebook, or Twitter; someone tends to be able to voice their opinions. I've actually never heard of the book you mentioned above, but I'm very intrigued in reading it! Again, good job on your post and I look forward to reading your op/ed!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Meaghan! Your post was a very interesting read to me! I specifically love how you gave a personal experience example of the book written by Zinn and how it shows how a certain topic can give rise to such empowering opinions from someone. I also found it useful how you listed the four main characteristics that all op/ed should have since I am writing my first one. I, too, am use to writing objectively in writing assignments, I kind of have gotten use to "sticking with the facts" with my writing because that was what I was taught all these years, so this op/ed is a great way for all of us to get our opinions out on topics we care about! Can't wait to hear more about what you're going to do for yours!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Meaghan!

    I really enjoyed reading this. Your post was short and sweet, straight to the point. I think you'll have an easy time writing your op-ed, as long as you remember to input your own opinion! Also, I've heard of Zinn's book, but I never got around to reading it. Your comment on it made it seem like it's an interesting read, I might give it a look! I'm with you on liking op-eds, I feel as if they give the audience a more direct explanation of whatever situation is going on, as well as not sugar-coating it.

    Great post!

    Yliana Alba

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Six-Word Memoir

I am..

I'm Probably (Mush)faking It