Six-Word Memoir
"See You When I See You"
I grew up surrounded by Hawaiian culture, considering my Dad's side is all Hawaiian. There should be a guide to Hawaiian Culture because there's so many things Hawaiians do that I still don't fully comprehend. One thing that stood out the most about my dad, besides the fact that he was a big Hawaiian guy, was that he would talk to everyone, even strangers and every single time he left he would tell them "I'll see you when I see you." That's why it was so appropriate to put that saying on his memorial card when he passed away.
I never understood why he would always say this to people, or what it even meant until I got older. Losing someone is always hard, but I wouldn't be the person I am today if my dad was still here, and on some level i'm grateful for that. I've learned more about appreciating things as they come, and even though you might lose someone close to you, life goes on and you can't stop yourself from living.
Eight years later I transferred here, to San Diego State University, to pursue a major in Hospitality Management with a minor in Entrepreneurship. I have my sisters, mom, niece, and brand new nephew who are back home, in the Bay Area, who have been supporting me since day one. Everyone's experienced loss, but it's not the loss itself that defines who you are, it's how to grow from it as a person.

Meaghan, I like how you took your dad's saying and used it as your six-word memoir, an idea that are figuring out even as you figure out how you want to be as an adult. Your dad's words and his identity are still influencing you right now.
ReplyDeleteThe image was a great addition. It's clear in the photo how much you adore your dad, and that your curiosity about Hawaiian culture, really speak to that link between you and your family.
Even the background, the sky with the clouds and plane, communicate this idea of "see you when I see you." Thanks for sharing.
This has been the most impactful six-word memoir that I've read. I love your use of photography and the way that it immediately creates a genuine connection between the reader and you. As I read about your father's tendency to talk to everyone, including strangers, it reminded me of a quality I love seeing in people as I go about my day. You never know the immense impact that a nod, a hug or even a smile could have on a person at any given moment. It's incredible that he knew that and practiced it every day.
ReplyDeleteI'm genuinely sorry for your loss. While I can't entirely comprehend the sorrow of losing a father, I know that losing someone you love is never easy, and I admire the way in which you processed and dealt with the pain. As you father said "[he'll] see you when [he] sees you" and when that day comes perhaps you'll share the many joys you've experienced throughout your fantastic life.
Cant' wait to read more of your blogs!
The image you and your dad interacting is what what grabbed my attention first, it is clear how much your dad adored you in the picture. Then I read you memoir and I felt that I can relate to you a lot. While I haven't lost a parent, I have lost a few family members that were like parent figures in my life and while it's hard, I also know I wouldn't be who I am without their influence. I loved that you used something that he said often as the title for your memoir, because it shows how much he meant to you, and how much family means to you. I look forward to reading more of your blogs.
ReplyDelete